English translation of holy Quran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall
English translation of holy Quran - surah 89. Al-Fajr (The Dawn) of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own line in an ordered list.
89. al-Fajr: The Dawn
- By the Dawn
- And ten nights,
- And the Even and the Odd,
- And the night when it departeth,
- There surely is an oath for thinking man.
- Dost thou not consider how thy Lord dealt with (the tribe of) A'ad,
- With many-columned Iram,
- The like of which was not created in the lands;
- And with (the tribe of) Thamud, who clove the rocks in the valley;
- And with Pharaoh, firm of might,
- Who (all) were rebellious (to Allah) in these lands,
- And multiplied iniquity therein ?
- Therefore thy Lord poured on them the disaster of His punishment.
- Lo! thy Lord is ever watchful.
- As for man, whenever his Lord trieth him by honouring him, and is gracious unto him, he saith: My Lord honoureth me.
- But whenever He trieth him by straitening his means of life, he saith: My Lord despiseth me.
- Nay, but ye (for your part) honour not the orphan
- And urge not on the feeding of the poor.
- And ye devour heritages with devouring greed.
- And love wealth with abounding love.
- Nay, but when the earth is ground to atoms, grinding, grinding,
- And thy Lord shall come with angels, rank on rank,
- And hell is brought near that day; on that day man will remember, but how will the remembrance (then avail him) ?
- He will say: Ah, would that I had sent before me (some provision) for my life!
- None punisheth as He will punish on that day!
- None bindeth as He then will bind.
- But ah! thou soul at peace!
- Return unto thy Lord, content in His good pleasure!
- Enter thou among My bondmen!
- Enter thou My Garden!
English translation of holy Quran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. This translation is in public domain now and has been acquired from www.sacred-texts.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single web page by Marmaduke Pickthall
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran