English translation of holy Quran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall
English translation of holy Quran - surah 80. 'Abas (Frowned) of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own line in an ordered list.
80. `Abasa: He Frowned
- He frowned and turned away
- Because the blind man came unto him.
- What could inform thee but that he might grow (in grace)
- Or take heed and so the reminder might avail him ?
- As for him who thinketh himself independent,
- Unto him thou payest regard.
- Yet it is not thy concern if he grow not (in grace).
- But as for him who cometh unto thee with earnest purpose
- And hath fear,
- From him thou art distracted.
- Nay, but verily it is an Admonishment,
- So let whosoever will pay heed to it,
- On honoured leaves
- Exalted, purified,
- (Set down) by scribes
- Noble and righteous.
- Man is (self-)destroyed: how ungrateful!
- From what thing doth He create him ?
- From a drop of seed. He createth him and proportioneth him,
- Then maketh the way easy for him,
- Then causeth him to die, and burieth him;
- Then, when He will, He bringeth him again to life.
- Nay, but (man) hath not done what He commanded him.
- Let man consider his food:
- How We pour water in showers
- Then split the earth in clefts
- And cause the grain to grow therein
- And grapes and green fodder
- And olive-trees and palm-trees
- And garden-closes of thick foliage
- And fruits and grasses:
- Provision for you and your cattle.
- But when the Shout cometh
- On the day when a man fleeth from his brother
- And his mother and his father
- And his wife and his children,
- Every man that day will have concern enough to make him heedless (of others).
- On that day faces will be bright as dawn,
- Laughing, rejoicing at good news;
- And other faces, on that day, with dust upon them,
- Veiled in darkness,
- Those are the disbelievers, the wicked.
English translation of holy Quran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. This translation is in public domain now and has been acquired from www.sacred-texts.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single web page by Marmaduke Pickthall
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran