English translation of holy Quran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall
English translation of holy Quran - surah 70. Al-Ma'arji (The Stairways) of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own line in an ordered list.
70. al-Ma`arij: The Ladders
- A questioner questioned concerning the doom about to fall
- Upon the disbelievers, which none can repel,
- From Allah, Lord of the Ascending Stairways
- (Whereby) the angels and the Spirit ascend unto Him in a Day whereof the span is fifty thousand years.
- But be patient (O Muhammad) with a patience fair to see.
- Lo! they behold it afar off
- While we behold it nigh:
- The day when the sky will become as molten copper,
- And the hills become as flakes of wool,
- And no familiar friend will ask a question of his friend
- Though they will be given sight of them. The guilty man will long to be able to ransom himself from the punishment of that day at the price of his children
- And his spouse and his brother
- And his kin that harboured him
- And all that are in the earth, if then it might deliver him.
- But nay! for lo! it is the fire of hell
- Eager to roast;
- It calleth him who turned and fled (from truth),
- And hoarded (wealth) and withheld it.
- Lo! man was created anxious,
- Fretful when evil befalleth him
- And, when good befalleth him, grudging;
- Save worshippers.
- Who are constant at their worship
- And in whose wealth there is a right acknowledged
- For the beggar and the destitute;
- And those who believe in the Day of Judgment,
- And those who are fearful of their Lord's doom -
- Lo! the doom of their Lord is that before which none can feel secure -
- And those who preserve their chastity
- Save with their wives and those whom their right hands possess, for thus they are not blameworthy;
- But whoso seeketh more than that, those are they who are transgressors;
- And those who keep their pledges and their covenant,
- And those who stand by their testimony
- And those who are attentive at their worship.
- These will dwell in Gardens, honoured.
- What aileth those who disbelieve, that they keep staring toward thee (O Muhammad), open-eyed,
- On the right and on the left, in groups ?
- Doth every man among them hope to enter the Garden of Delight ?
- Nay, verily. Lo! We created them from what they know.
- But nay! I swear by the Lord of the rising-places and the setting-places of the planets that We verily are Able
- To replace them by (others) better than them. And we are not to be outrun.
- So let them chat and play until they meet their Day which they are promised,
- The day when they come forth from the graves in haste, as racing to a goal,
- With eyes aghast, abasement stupefying them: Such is the Day which they are promised.
English translation of holy Quran by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format by Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall. This translation is in public domain now and has been acquired from www.sacred-texts.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single web page by Marmaduke Pickthall
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran