English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 40. The Forgiver - Ghafir of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
40. The Forgiver - Ghafir
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- The sending down of the Book is from Allah, the Almighty,the Knower.
- The Forgiver of sins and the Acceptor of repentance. Sternin retribution, the Bountiful, there is no god except He and to Him is thearrival.
- None but the unbelievers dispute concerning the verses ofAllah. So do not be deluded by their going to and fro in the land.
- Thenation of Noah before them belied, and so did the parties after them.Every nation strove against their Messenger to seize him, disputing withfalse arguments to refute the truth. Then I seized them, how was Mypunishment!
- And so it is that the Word of your Lord shall be realizedagainst the unbelievers - they are the inhabitants of the Fire.
- Thosewho bear the Throne and those around it exalt with the praise of theirLord and believe in Him. They ask forgiveness for the believers (saying):'Our Lord, You embrace all things in mercy and knowledge. Forgive thosewho repent and follow Your Way. Shield them against the punishment ofHell.
- Admit them, Our Lord, to the Gardens of Eden which You havepromised them, together with those who were righteous among their fathers,their wives, and their offspring. You are the Almighty, the Wise,
- andguard them against all evil deeds. Whosoever You guarded against evildeeds on that Day, surely, You have had mercy upon them, and that isindeed the mighty triumph.'
- It shall be proclaimed to the unbelievers:'Surely, the hatred of Allah for you is greater than your hatred ofyourselves. You were called to belief but disbelieved.'
- They shall say:'Our Lord, twice You have made us die, and twice You have given us life,now, we confess our sins. Is there any way we can be brought out of this?'
- (They shall be answered): 'That is because you disbelieved when Allahalone was supplicated to, but when others were associated with Him youbelieved.' Judgement belongs to Allah, the Most High, the Great.
- It isHe who shows to you His signs and sends down your provision from the sky.Yet no one remembers except he who is penitent.
- Supplicate then toAllah making your religion sincerely His, even though the unbelieversoppose it.
- Exalter in ranks, Owner of the Throne. He lets the spirit(the revelation) descend at His order on those of His worshipers whom Hechooses, in order that He warns of the Day of the Meeting;
- the Day whenthey shall rise up with nothing hidden from Allah. And who is the Owner ofthe Kingdom on that Day? Allah, the One, the Conqueror!
- On that Dayevery soul shall be recompensed for its earnings and on that Day noneshall be wronged. The reckoning of Allah is swift.
- Warn them againstthe Imminent Day when, choking with anguish, the hearts will be in theirthroats, the harmdoers will not have a single, loyal friend, and therewill be no intercessor to be obeyed.
- He (Allah) knows the furtive looksof the eyes and what the chests conceal.
- With justice Allah will judge,but those upon whom they call, other than Him, can not judge anything atall! Allah is the Hearer, the Seer.
- Have they never journeyed throughthe land and seen what was the end of those who have gone before them?They were stronger than themselves in might and left firmer traces in theearth, but Allah seized them for their sinning, and they had none toprotect them from Allah.
- That was because they disbelieved theirMessengers when they came to them with clear signs, and so Allah seizedthem. Surely, He is Strong, and Stern in retribution.
- We sent Moseswith Our signs and with clear authority
- to Pharaoh, Haman, and Korah.But they said: 'A sorcerer, a liar.'
- And when he brought them the truthfrom Us they said: 'Kill the sons of those who believe with him, but sparetheir women.' But the scheming of the unbelievers is always in error.
- Pharaoh said: 'Let me kill Moses, then let him call to his Lord! I amfearful that he will change your religion or cause mischief in the land.'
- Moses said: 'I take refuge in my Lord and in your Lord from every proud(person), who does not believe in Day of Reckoning.'
- But one ofPharaoh's people, who was in secret a believer, asked: 'Would you kill aman because he says: "My Lord is Allah?" He has brought you clear signsfrom your Lord. If he is lying, let his lie be on his head, but, if he isspeaking the truth then at least a part of what he promises will befallyou. Allah does not guide the lying sinner.
- O my nation, today thekingdom is yours and you are the masters in the land. But, if the might ofAllah should come against us, who will help us?' Pharaoh said: 'I only letyou see what I see. I guide you to the path of righteousness!'
- The onewho believed said: 'I fear for you the like of the day of the confederatesmy nation,
- or, something similar to the circumstances of the nations ofNoah, Aad, and Thamood, and those who came after them. Allah does not wantto wrong His worshipers.
- And, my nation, I fear for you the Day ofCalling,
- the Day when you will turn in retreat with none to protect youfrom Allah. He whom Allah leads astray has no guide.
- Before this,Joseph brought you clear signs, but you continued to be doubtful of thatwhich he brought. When he passed away you said: "Allah will never sendanother Messenger after him." As such Allah leads astray the sinner, thedoubter.
- Those who dispute the signs of Allah without any authorityhaving reached them are very hateful before Allah and the believers. Assuch Allah sets a seal on every heart that is proud and arrogant.
- Pharaoh said: 'Haman, build me a tower that I can reach the ways,
- theways of heaven so that I may look upon the God of Moses, because I thinkthat he is a liar!' And so Pharaoh's evil deeds were made to seem fair tohim, and he was barred from the Way. And Pharaoh's guile came to nothingexcept ruin.
- He who was a believer said: 'Follow me, my nation, so thatI may guide you to the Right Path.
- O my nation, the life of this worldis nothing but an enjoyment, but surely, the life of the Everlasting Lifeis the stable abode.
- Those who do an evil deed shall only be rewardedwith its like, but those who believe and do good works, either men andwomen, shall enter the Gardens of Paradise and are provided for withoutreckoning.
- My nation, how is it that I call you to salvation and youcall me to the Fire?
- You call me to disbelieve in Allah and toassociate with Him that of which I know nothing; while I call you to theAlmighty, the Forgiving.
- There is no doubt that what you call me to hasneither a call in this world, nor in the Everlasting Life. To Allah weshall return, and the excessive sinners are the inhabitants of the Fire.
- You will remember what I say to you. To Allah I commit my affair,surely, Allah sees His worshipers.'
- Allah saved him from the evils thatthey devised, and an evil punishment encompassed Pharaoh's people.
- (Before) the Fire they shall be exposed morning and evening, and on theDay when the Hour comes, (it will be said): 'Admit the family of Pharaohinto the most terrible punishment!'
- And when they argue with oneanother in Hell, the weak will say to the proud: 'We were your followers,will you help us against any share of the Fire?'
- But those who wereproud will reply: 'All of us are in it (Hell). Allah has judged betweenHis worshipers.'
- And those in the Fire will say to the keepers ofGehenna (Hell): 'Call your Lord to lessen our punishment for one day!'
- But they will say: 'Did your Messengers not come to you with clear signs?''Yes indeed,' they will answer. And they will reply: 'Then you call.' Butthe calling of the unbelievers is only in error.
- Surely, We shall helpOur Messengers and the believers both in this world and on the Day whenthe witnesses rise.
- On that Day no excuse will benefit the harmdoers.Theirs shall be the curse, and an evil lodging.
- We gave Moses theGuidance and bequeathed upon the Children of Israel the Book
- forguidance and a reminder for those of understanding.
- Therefore havepatience; the promise of Allah is true, and ask forgiveness of your sins,and exalt with the praise of your Lord in the evening and at dawn.
- (Asfor) those who dispute the verses of Allah without authority having beengiven to them, there is nothing in their chests but pride; that, theyshall never attain. Therefore seek refuge in Allah, surely, He is theHearer, the Seer.
- Indeed, the creation of heavens and earth is greaterthan the creation of mankind, yet most people do not know.
- The blindand the seeing are not equal, nor are those who believe and do good works,and the wrongdoer - yet you seldom reflect.
- There is no doubt that theHour is coming, yet most people do not believe.
- Your Lord has said:'Call on Me and I will answer you. Those who are too proud to worship Meshall enter Gehenna utterly abject.'
- It is Allah who made for you thenight in which to rest and the day to see. Allah is bountiful to thepeople, yet most people do not give thanks.
- Such is Allah, your Lord,the Creator of all things. There is no god except He. How then can youturn away from Him?
- As such those who disbelieve the signs of Allahturn away.
- It is Allah who has given you the earth as a fixed place,and the heaven for a canopy. He has shaped you and made you fine images,and provided you with goodness. Such is Allah, your Lord. Blessed beAllah, Lord of all the Worlds.
- He is the Living; there is no god exceptHe. Supplicate to Him and make the religion sincerely His. Praise belongsto Allah, Lord of the Worlds!
- Say: 'I am forbidden to worship thosewhom you worship, other than Allah. Clear verses have come to me from myLord and I am commanded to surrender to the Lord of the Worlds.'
- It isHe who created you from dust, then from a (sperm) drop, and then a (blood)clot. He then brings you forth as an infant, then you reach your strength,after which you come of age - though some of you die before it - and thatyou reach an appointed term, in order that you understand.
- It is He whogives life and makes to die, and when He decrees a thing, He says to it:'Be,' and it is!
- Do you not see how those who dispute about the versesof Allah how they are turned about?
- Those who belie the Book and thatwith which We sent Our Messengers shall soon know.
- When the fetters andchains are round their necks they shall be dragged
- into boiling water,then, into the Fire they shall be poured.
- It will then be asked ofthem: 'Where are those whom you associated,
- other than Allah?' Theywill reply: 'They have gone astray from us. Indeed what we used to callupon before is nothing.' Accordingly, Allah leads the unbelievers astray.
- (And it will be said): 'That is because you rejoiced on earth in thingsof which you had no right, and were very happy.
- Enter the gates ofGehenna and live there for ever. Evil is the lodging of the proud.
- Therefore have patience, the Promise of Allah is true. Whether We show yousomething of that We promise them or call you to Us, to Us they shall allreturn.
- We sent other Messengers before you; of some, We have alreadytold you, of others We have not told you. Yet it was not for any Messengerto bring a verse except by the permission of Allah. And when the commandof Allah comes the matter will be justly decided; and the vain-doers willbe lost.
- It is Allah who has provided you with cattle, some that youride and some that you eat,
- and for you there are other uses in them,and that upon them you may reach a need in your chests, and upon them andon ships you are carried.
- He shows you His signs. Now which of thesigns of Allah do you disbelieve?
- Have they never journeyed through theland and seen what was the end of those who have gone before them? Theywere stronger than themselves in might and left firmer traces upon theearth; yet, whatsoever they earned did not help them.
- When theirMessengers brought them clear verses they rejoiced in such knowledge asthey had; but they were encompassed by that which they mocked.
- And whenthey saw Our Might, they said: 'We believe in Allah alone, and wedisbelieve in that we used to associate with Him.'
- But when they sawOur Might their belief did not benefit them! It is the way of Allah thathas passed concerning His worshipers. There, the unbelievers shall belost.
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran