English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 28. The Story - Al-Qasas of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
28. The Story - Al-Qasas
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- Those are the verses of the Clear Book.
- We shall intruth recite to you some of the news of Moses and Pharaoh for a nation whobelieve.
- Pharaoh had exalted himself in the land and had divided itspeople into sects, one group he abased, putting their sons to death andsparing their women, for he was one of those who corrupted.
- But Wewanted to be gracious to those abased in the land, and to make themleaders and inheritors,
- and to establish them in the land; and to showPharaoh and Haman, and their armies, the very thing they dreaded.
- Werevealed this to Moses' mother: 'Suckle him, but when you fear for himcast him into the water. Neither fear, nor sorrow because We shall restorehim to you and make him among the Messengers.'
- Then the family ofPharaoh picked him out to be an enemy and a sorrow for them, indeedPharaoh and Haman, and their army were sinners.
- Pharaoh's wife said tohim: 'He will be a comfort to me and you. Do not slay him, perhaps he maybenefit us, or we will take him for our son.' But they were unaware.
- Inthe morning the heart of Moses' mother became empty. She would haverevealed (who he was) had We not settled her heart so that she might beamong the believers.
- She said to his sister: 'Follow him.' And shewatched him from a distance, but they were unaware.
- We had forbidden tohim before that he should be suckled by foster mothers, therefore she(Moses' sister) said (to them): 'Shall I direct you to a people of ahousehold who will take charge of him for you and advise him?'
- So, Werestored him to his mother, so that she might be comforted and not sorrow,and that she might know that the promise of Allah is true. Yet most ofthem do not know.
- And when he was full grown, and reached theperfection of his strength, We gave him judgment and knowledge. As such Werecompense the good-doers.
- And he entered the city unnoticed by thepeople and found two men fighting, one was of his own party, and the otherof his enemies. The one of his party appealed for his help against hisenemy, Moses struck and killed him, and said: 'This is the work of satan,he is surely a clear, misleading enemy.
- Forgive me, my Lord, for I havewronged myself,' and so He forgave him; for He is indeed the Forgiving,the Most Merciful.
- He said: 'My Lord as You have favored me, I willnever be a helper to the wrongdoer.'
- In the morning, he was in thecity, fearful and vigilant, then he whom he had helped the day beforecried out to him again for help. 'Clearly,' said Moses, 'you arequarrelsome.'
- And when Moses was about to seize he who was the enemy ofboth of them, he said: 'Moses, would you kill me as you killed a livingsoul yesterday? You desire only to be a tyrant in the land, and you do notwant to be among the reformers!'
- Then a man came running from thefurthest part of the city, 'Moses,' he said, 'the Assembly are plotting tokill you. Leave, for I am one of your sincere advisers.'
- So he left,fearful and vigilant, saying: 'My Lord, save me from the harm-doingnation.'
- And when he turned his face towards Midian, he said: 'It maybe that my Lord will guide me on the right way.'
- When he came to thewater wells of Midian he found there some people drawing water, and hefound two women apart from them who were keeping back (their flocks).'What is your business?' he asked. They replied: 'We cannot draw wateruntil the shepherds have driven away (their flocks), and our father is anelderly man.'
- So he drew water for them and then retired to the shade,saying: 'O my Lord, surely I have need of whatever good You send me.'
- Then, one of the two came to him walking shyly, and said: 'My fatherinvites you, so that he can recompense you with a wage for having drawnwater for us.' So when he came to him and told him his story, (the father)said: 'Do not be afraid, you have been saved from the nation ofharmdoers.'
- One of the two women said: 'Father, hire him. The best whoyou can hire, is the strong, the honest.'
- He said: 'I will let youmarry one of these two daughters of mine on condition that you hireyourself to me for eight years. If you complete ten that is of your ownaccord; I shall not press you. Surely, you will find me, if Allah wills,among the good.'
- 'So be it between me and you,' said Moses. 'Whicheverof the two terms I fulfill, it will be no injustice to me. Allah is theGuardian of what we say.'
- And when Moses had fulfilled the term anddeparted with his household, he saw from far away on the side of the Tor afire. He said to his household: 'Stay here, for I can see a fire. PerhapsI can bring you news, or a flame from the fire so that you can warmyourselves.'
- When he came to it, he was called from the right bank inthe blessed plot of the tree (he heard speech without letter or voicecoming from all directions): 'Moses, I am Allah, Lord of the Worlds.
- Cast down your staff.' And when he saw his staff writhing as though itwere a serpent, he turned about in retreat, and did not turn back. 'OMoses, approach and have no fear. You are surely safe.
- Put your hand inthe neck (of your shirt), it will come out luminous, unharmed, and drawyour arm to you so that you are not afraid. These are two signs from yourLord to Pharaoh and his Assembly. Surely, they were an impious nation.'
- 'My Lord,' (said Moses), 'I have killed a living soul among them, and fearthat they will slay me.
- Aaron my brother has a more eloquent tonguethan I, (please) send him with me as a helper to confirm I speak truly, Ifear that they will belie me.'
- He said: 'We will strengthen your armwith your brother, and appoint for you both an authority so that theyshall not reach you. With our signs you and those who follow you shall bethe victors.
- And when Moses came to them with Our clear signs, theysaid: 'This is nothing but forged sorcery. We have never heard of thisamong our fathers, the ancients.'
- Moses replied: 'My Lord knows wellwho brings guidance from Him and who shall possess the Last Residence. Theharmdoers will not prosper.'
- 'Assembly,' said Pharaoh, 'I do not knowthat you have any god except me!' 'O Haman, kindle a fire upon clay andmake me a tower so that I can climb to see the God of Moses, I think thathe is one of the liars!'
- He and his hosts became wrongfully proud inthe land and they thought that they would never be returned to Us.
- Therefore, We seized him and his hosts, and cast them into the sea. Seehow was the end of the harmdoers.
- We made them leaders inviting to theFire, and on the Day of Resurrection they shall not be victors.
- In thisworld We laid Our curse on them, and on the Day of Resurrection they shallbe among the exiled.
- And We gave Moses the Book, after We had destroyedthe former generations, to be reflections for people and a guidance, and amercy in order that they might remember.
- (Prophet Muhammad) you werenot on the western side (of the mountain) when We decreed the commandmentto Moses, nor were you among those witnessing.
- We raised generationswho lived long. You did not live among the people of Midian, nor did yourecite to them Our verses; but We were sending Messengers.
- You were notpresent on the side of the Tor when We called. Yet as a mercy from yourLord to warn a nation to whom no warner has been sent before, in orderthat they remember
- and not say, when evil befalls them on account ofthat which their hands forwarded: 'Our Lord, why did You not send aMessenger to us so that we might follow Your verses and so that we mightbe among the believers.'
- So when the truth (Prophet Muhammad) came tothem from Us, they said: 'Why is he not given the like of that which wasgiven to Moses?' But did they not also disbelieve in that which Moses wasgiven before! They say (about Moses and Aaron): 'Two sorcerers supportingone another!' And they said: 'We disbelieve both.'
- Say: 'If what yousay is true, bring down from Allah a Book that is a better guidance thanboth, I will follow it!'
- If they do not answer you, know that they areonly following their desires. And who is further astray than he who is ledby his desires without guidance from Allah! Allah does not guide theharmdoers.
- We have brought them the Word in order that they remember.
- Those to whom We gave the Book before, believe in it.
- When it isrecited to them, they say: 'We believe in it, because it is the truth fromOur Lord. We surrendered ourselves before it came.
- 'Their wage shall begiven them twice, because they have endured patiently, averting evil withgood and spending from what We have given them;
- and because when theyhear idle talk they turn away from it and say: 'We have our deeds, and youhave your deeds. Peace be upon you. We do not desire the ignorant.'
- Youcannot guide whom you please; it is Allah who guides whom He will. Heknows well those who are guided.
- They say: 'If we follow the guidancewith you, we shall be driven from our land.' But have We not given them asecure sanctuary from which fruits of every kind are collected as aprovision from Us? Indeed, most of them do not know.
- How many a villagehave We destroyed that were ungrateful in their life! Those are theirdwellings, (they are) uninhabited after them except for a little; We arethe inheritors.
- Nor did your Lord destroy the villages until He hadsent a Messenger to its mother village reciting to them Our verses. Wenever destroyed villages unless their inhabitants were harmdoers.
- Thethings you have been given, and its adornments, are but the enjoyment ofthis present life. What is with Allah is better and everlasting. Do younot understand?
- Is he to whom We promised a fine promise and receivesit, like he who has been given the enjoyment of this present life, then onthe Day of Resurrection shall be among those that are arraigned?
- Onthat Day He will call to them, saying: 'Where are those whom you allegedto be My associates?'
- Those against whom the Word is realized shallsay: 'Our Lord, those whom we led astray, we led them astray even as weourselves were astray. We are quit of them to You; it was not us that theyworshipped.'
- It will be said to them: 'Call on your associates!' Andthey will call on them, but they will not respond to them, and they shallsee the punishment - if only they had been guided.
- On that Day He willcall to them and He will say: 'What response did you give Our Messengers?'
- And on that Day the news will be blinded for them, and they will notask each other.
- But, as for he who repents and believes, and does gooddeeds, he will be among those who prosper.
- Your Lord creates whosoeverHe will and He chooses - the choice was not theirs (the unbelievers).Exalted is Allah, above that they associate!
- Your Lord knows what theirchests hide and what they reveal.
- And He is Allah; there is no godexcept He. The Praise is His in the former as in the latter. His is theJudgement, to Him you shall be returned.
- Say: 'Think! What if Allahshould enshroud you in unceasing night till the Day of Resurrection, whatgod, other than Allah, shall bring you light! Will you not hear?'
- Say:'What would you think if Allah should make the day unceasing over you tillthe Day of Resurrection, what god, other than Allah, shall bring you thenight to sleep in. Will you not see?'
- In His Mercy He has appointed foryou the night and the day, so that you can rest in it, and seek Hisbounty, in order that you will be thankful.'
- Upon that Day He will callto them saying: 'Now, where are those whom you alleged to be Myassociates?'
- From every nation We will bring a witness, and We shallsay to them: 'Produce your proof!' Then they shall know the truth is withAllah, and their own fabrications will forsake them.
- Korah was one ofMoses' nation. But he was insolent to them, for We had given him suchtreasures that their very keys were too heavy a burden for even thestrong. His people said to him: 'Do not exult; Allah does not love theboastful.
- But seek, in that which Allah has given you to attain theEverlasting residence. Do not forget your share in this world. Do good, asAllah has been good to you, and do not corrupt in the land, Allah does notlove those who corrupt.
- But he replied: 'What was given me is onlybecause of the knowledge I possess.' Did he not know that from thegenerations before him Allah had destroyed a mightier and more numerous inmultitude? The sinners shall not be questioned about their sins.
- So hewent out in all his finery among his nation, those who desired this lifesaid: 'Would that we had the like of that Korah has been given! He hasindeed a mighty fortune.'
- But those to whom knowledge had been givensaid: 'Alas for you! Better is the reward of Allah for him who believesand does good works; but none shall receive it except the patient.'
- Wecaused the earth to swallow him, together with his dwelling, and there wasno host to help him, other than Allah; and he was not amongst thevictorious.
- And in the morning those who had wished to be in his placethe previous evening said: 'Indeed, Allah outspreads to whom He will amongHis worshipers, and He restrains. Had He not shown us favor, He could havecaused the earth to swallow us. Indeed, the unbelievers shall neverprosper.'
- That is the Last Abode, We shall assign it to those whodesire neither exorbitance in the earth, nor corruption. The outcome isfor the cautious.
- Whosoever does a good deed shall have better than it.But whosoever does evil deeds, they shall be recompensed for what theywere doing.
- He who has obligated the Koran will bring you to anappointment. Say: 'My Lord knows well who comes with guidance, and who isin clear error.'
- You did not hope that the Book would be given to youexcept as mercy from your Lord. So do not be a supporter of theunbelievers.
- Let no one bar you from the verses of Allah after theyhave been sent down to you, but call to your Lord, and do not be amongstthe idolaters.
- And do not call upon another god with Allah, there is nogod except He. All things perish, except His Face, Judgement is His, andto Him all of you shall return.
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran