English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 24. The Light - An-Noor of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
24. The Light - An-Noor
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- This is a chapter which We have sent down and appointed; and in it Wehave sent down clear verses in order that you will remember.
- You shalllash the fornicatress and the fornicator each with a hundred lashes. Inthe religion of Allah, let no tenderness for them seize you if you believein Allah and the Last Day; and let their punishment be witnessed by aparty of believers.
- The fornicator shall marry none but a fornicatressor an idolatress; and the fornicatress - none shall marry her but afornicator or an idolater; that is forbidden to the believers.
- Those whoaccuse chaste women, and cannot produce four witnesses, you shall lashthem with eighty lashes. And never accept their testimony, for they areevildoers,
- except those among them that afterwards repent and mend theirways. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
- And those who accuse their wives andhave no witnesses except themselves, let them testify by swearing by Allahfour times that he is of the truthful,
- and the fifth time, that thecurse of Allah shall be upon him, if he should be of the liars.
- But thepunishment will be averted from her if she swears four times that he is ofthe liars,
- and on the fifth time the Wrath of Allah shall be upon her ifhe is of the truthful.
- If it were not for the bounty of Allah to youand His Mercy, and that Allah turns, and is the Wise,
- those who camewith the slander were a number of you. Do not regard it evil for you,rather it is good for you. Every person of them shall have the sin that hehas earned charged to him. As for he who took upon himself the greaterpart there is a mightier punishment.
- Had you heard it, and thebelieving men and women, thought good thoughts about one another said:'This is a clear falsehood!'
- Why, did they not bring four witnessesagainst it? But since they did not bring the witnesses, before Allah theyare the liars.
- But for the bounty of Allah and His Mercy towards you inthis life and in the Everlasting Life you would have been sternly punishedfor that which you were involved.
- You carried with your tongues anduttered with your mouths what you did not know. You have thought it atrifle, but before Allah it was a mighty thing.
- When you heard it, whydid you not say: 'It is not right for us to speak of this. Exaltations toYou! This is a mighty slander!'
- Allah exhorts you never again to repeatthe like, if you are believers.
- Allah makes plain to you His verses,and Allah is the Knower, the Wise.
- Those who love that indecency shouldbe broadcast about those who believe - theirs is a painful punishment inthis world and in the Everlasting Life. Allah knows, and you do not know.
- If it was not for the bounty of Allah to you and His Mercy, and Allahis the Gentle, the Most Merciful.
- Believers, do not follow in the stepsof satan, for those who follow the steps of satan, he bids to indecencyand dishonor. But for the bounty of Allah to you, and His Mercy no one ofyou would ever have been purified; but Allah purifies whom He will; Allahis the Hearer, the Knower.
- Do not let those of you who possess bountyand plenty swear not to give kinsmen, and the poor, and those who emigratein the way of Allah. Let them pardon and forgive. Do you not yearn thatAllah forgives you? And Allah is the Forgiver, the Most Merciful.
- Surely, those who defame chaste, unsuspecting, believing women, shall becursed in this world and in the Everlasting Life, and for them there is amighty punishment.
- On the Day when their tongues, hands and feet shalltestify against them concerning what they were doing.
- Upon that DayAllah will pay them their due in full, and they will know that Allah isthe clear truth.
- Evil women for evil men, and evil men for evil women;good women for good men, and good men for good women - these are clear ofwhat has been said; for them is forgiveness, and a generous provision.
- Believers, do not enter houses other than your houses until you first askpermission and greet with peace the people thereof; that is better for youin order that you remember.
- And if you do not find anyone there, do notenter it until permission is given to you. And if you are told 'Return',so return, that is purer for you; and Allah knows the things you do.
- There is no fault in you that you enter uninhabited houses wherein thereis benefit for you. Allah knows what you reveal and what you hide.
- Sayto the believers they should lower their gaze and guard their privateparts that is purer for them. Allah is Aware of the things they do.
- Andsay to the believing women, that they lower their gaze cast down theireyes and guard their chastity, and do not reveal their adornment exceptthat which is outward (face and hands); and let them draw their veils overtheir neck, and not reveal their adornment except to their husbands, ortheir fathers, or their husbands' fathers, or their sons, or theirhusbands' sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or theirsisters' sons, or their women, or what their right hands own, or such maleattendants having no sexual desire, or children who have not yet attainedknowledge of women's private parts; nor let them stamp their feet, so thattheir hidden ornament is known. And, O believers turn to Allah alltogether, in order that you prosper.
- Marry those among you who arespouseless and the virtuous among your male and female slaves (therebyfreeing them), if they are poor, Allah will enrich them of His bounty;Allah is Embracing, Knowing.
- Let those who do not find the means tomarry be abstinent until Allah enriches them of His bounty. Those yourright hand owns who seek their freedom, make a contract with themaccordingly if you know some good in them, and give them from the wealthof Allah that He has given you. Do not force your slave-girls intoprostitution in order to seek worldly gain for they wish to preserve theirchastity. Whosoever compels them, surely Allah, after their beingcompelled, is the Forgiver (to the girls), the Most Merciful.
- Now Wehave sent down to you clarifying verses, and an example of those whopassed away before you and admonition to the cautious.
- Allah is theLighter of the heavens and the earth. The example of His Light is like atube, in which there is a wick. The wick is in a lamp and the lamp is as aglittering planet kindled from a Blessed Tree, an olive that is neither ofthe East nor of the West. Its oil would almost shine forth though no firetouched it. Light upon light; Allah guides to His Light whom He will.Allah strikes parables for people. Allah has knowledge of all things.
- In houses which Allah has allowed to be raised up, and His Name to beremembered therein. In the morning and evening
- are men who exalt Himthere, whom neither trade nor sale can divert from the remembrance ofAllah, and establish the prayers, and pay the obligatory charity; fearinga Day when hearts and eyes shall be turned about,
- that Allah willrecompense them for the finest deeds they did and increase them from Hisbounty. Allah provides without measure to whom He will.
- As for theunbelievers, their works are like a mirage in the wilderness. The thirstyperson thinks it is water, but when he comes near he finds that it isnothing. He finds Allah there, who pays him his account in full. Allah isSwift in reckoning.
- Or, they are like darkness upon a deep sea coveredwith a wave above which is another wave, above which are clouds, darknesspiled one upon the other; when he stretches out his hand he can scarcelysee it. Indeed, to whomsoever Allah assigns no light, he shall have nolight.
- Have you not seen how Allah is exalted by those in the heavensand earth, and the birds with outspread wings? He knows its prayers andits exaltations and Allah has knowledge of the things they do.
- To Allahbelongs the Kingdom of the heavens and the earth. To Him is the arrival.
- Have you not seen how Allah drives the clouds, then gathers them andconverts them into a mass, then you see rain coming from the midst ofthem? And He sends down out of heaven mountains in which there is hail,pelting with it whom He will, and turning it away from whom He will. Theflash of its lightning almost snatches away the sight.
- Allah turnsabout the night and the day (to succeed one another); surely, in thisthere is a lesson for those who have eyes.
- Allah created everythingthat walks from water. Some creep upon their bellies, others walk on twofeet, and others walk on four. Allah creates whatever He will. Allah isPowerful over everything.
- We have sent down clarifying verses. Allahguides whom He will to a Straight Path.
- They say: 'We believe in Allahand the Messenger and obey.' But a party of them turn away after this.Those are not believers.
- And when they are called to Allah and HisMessenger so that he judges between them, a party of them swerve away.
- If the right is theirs, they would have hastened to him obediently.
- Isthere a sickness in their hearts, or, are they in doubt? Do they fear thatAllah and His Messenger will be unjust? No, but those they are theharmdoers.
- But when the believers are called to Allah and HisMessenger, in order that he judges between them, their reply is: 'We hearand obey.' Such are the prosperous.
- Those who obey Allah and HisMessenger, and fear Allah, and have awe of Him, shall be the winners.
- They swear by Allah in the most earnest oaths, that if you order them,they would go forth. Say: 'Do not swear, known obedience (is better).Allah is Aware of the things you do.'
- Say: 'Obey Allah and obey theMessenger. If you turn away, upon him only rests what is laid upon him,and upon you rests what is laid on you. If you obey him, you shall beguided. It is only for the Messenger to deliver a clear message.'
- Allahhas promised those of you who believe and do good works that He willindeed make them successors in the land as He made those who were beforethem successors, and that He will indeed establish their religion forthem; that which He has approved for them, and will exchange safety forthem after their fear. They worship Me and associate nothing with Me.After that, those who disbelieve are the impious.
- Establish theprayers, pay the charity, and obey the Messenger, in order to have mercy.
- Never think that the unbelievers will be able to frustrate (Us) in theearth. Their refuge is the Fire, an evil arrival.
- Believers, let thoseyour right hand owns and those who have not come of age ask permission ofyou three times - before the dawn prayer, when you put aside yourgarments, in the heat of noon, and after the night prayer. These are thethree occasions of privacy. There is no fault in you or them, apart fromthese, that they go about you, you are of each other. As such Allah makesplain to you His verses, Allah is the Knower, the Wise.
- And whenchildren reach the age of puberty, let them ask permission as those beforethem asked permission. As such Allah makes clear to you His verses. Allahis the Knower, the Wise.
- (As for) women that are past child-bearing whohave no hope of marriage - there is no fault in them that they discardtheir cloaks provided they do not reveal their adornments, but it isbetter if they abstain. Allah is the Hearer, the Knower.
- It shall be nofault for the blind, the lame, the sick and yourselves to eat from yourhouses. Nor the houses of your fathers', your mothers', your brothers',your sisters', your paternal uncles, your paternal aunts, your maternaluncles, your maternal aunts or in houses the keys of which you own, or inthose of your friend, there is no fault in you that you all eat together,or separately. When you enter houses, greet (with peace) one another witha salutation from Allah, blessed and good. As such Allah makes clear toyou His verses so that you understand.
- The believers are only those whobelieve in Allah and His Messenger, and who, when gathered with him upon acommon matter do not depart till they have asked his permission. Surely,those who ask your permission are those who believe in Allah and HisMessenger. When they ask your permission for some of their affairs, grantit to whomever you please and ask Allah for forgiveness for them; Allah isthe Forgiver, the Merciful.
- Do not make the calling of the Messengeramong yourselves like your calling to one another. Allah knows those ofyou who slip away surreptitiously, so let those who disobey His commandbeware, lest they are struck by sedition, or, they are stricken with apainful punishment.
- To Allah belongs all that is in the heavens and theearth. He has Knowledge of what state you are upon. On the Day when theyshall be returned to Him, He will tell them all what they have done. AndAllah has knowledge of everything.
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran