English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 21. The Prophets - Al-'Anbiya' of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
21. The Prophets - Al-'Anbiya'
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- The Reckoning for mankind is drawing near, yet they are heedless andturn away.
- No recent revival of the remembrance comes to them from theirLord, except that they play with it as they listen -
- their hearts arediverted. The harmdoers mutter to one another: 'Is this anything else buta human like yourself? What, will you follow sorcery with your eyes open?'
- He said: 'My Lord has knowledge of what is said in the heavens and onearth. He is the Hearer, the Knower.'
- Some say: 'No, it is only mixeddreams.' 'No, he has forged it himself', or, 'no, he is a poet! Let himbring us a sign, just as the ancient ones were sent as Messengers.'
- Ofthe villages We destroyed, there was not one that believed. What, willthey not believe?
- We never sent (anyone) before you except men to whomWe revealed to them. 'Ask the people of the Remembrance if you do notknow.'
- Nor did We make them bodies that ate no food, nor were theyimmortal.
- Then We were true to the promise, We saved them together withthose whom We willed, and destroyed the transgressors.
- Now, We havesent down to you a Book in which is your Remembrance. Will you notunderstand?
- How many harm-doing villages have We shattered and replacedthem with another nation.
- And when they felt Our Might they fled fromit.
- 'Do not run away. Return to your luxury that you rejoiced in, andyour homes in order that you be questioned!'
- They said: 'Alas for us wewere harmdoers!'
- And this they did not stop crying out until We madethem stubble, silent, and still.
- It was not in play that We created theheavens and the earth and all that lies between them.
- Had We wished totake to Us an amusement We would have taken it to Us from Ours had We doneso.
- No, We hurl truth at falsehood, and it shall conquer it, and see,falsehood vanishes. Woe to you for all you have described.
- To Himbelongs whosoever is in the heavens and the earth. Those who are with Himare not too proud to worship Him, nor are they ever wearied.
- They neverfail to exalt Him either at night or in the day.
- Or, have they takenearthly gods who revive the dead?
- Had there been gods in heaven orearth, other than Allah, both would indeed have been ruined. Exalted beAllah, Lord of the Throne, above that they describe.
- He is not to bequestioned about what He does, but they shall be questioned.
- Have theytaken gods, other than Him? Say: 'Bring us your proof! Here is theRemembrance of he who is with me and the Remembrance of those before me.'But no, most of them do not know the truth, therefore they turn away.
- We never sent a Messenger before you except that We revealed to himsaying: 'There is no god except Me, therefore, worship Me.'
- They say'The Merciful has taken a son.' Exaltations to Him! No, they are only Hishonored worshipers,
- who do not surpass Him in speech, and do as Hecommands.
- He knows what is before them and what is behind them. Theyintercede for none except for him whom He is well pleased, and theytremble in awe of Him.
- If any one of them says: 'I am a god other thanHim,' We will recompense him with Gehenna (Hell). As such We recompensethe harmdoers.
- Have the unbelievers not seen that the heavens and theearth were sewn up as one (solid) mass, then We unstitched them, and thatWe made every living thing of water? Will they not believe!
- We set firmmountains upon the earth lest it should shake with them, and We placedtherein ravines to be paths so that they might be guided.
- Weestablished the heaven as a well protected roof, yet they still turn awayfrom its signs.
- It is He who created the night and the day, and the sunand the moon; each floating in an orbit.
- We have never assignedimmortality to a human before you, therefore, if you yourself die, willthey live for ever?
- Every soul shall taste death. We will try you witha trial of evil and good. Then, to Us you shall be returned.
- When theunbelievers see you, they take you only for mockery, saying: 'Is this hewho talks about your gods?' While they are unbelievers in the Remembranceof the Merciful.
- The human was created of haste. Indeed, I will showyou My signs; so do not ask Me to hasten them.
- They say: 'If you aretruthful, when will this promise come?'
- If the unbelievers only knewwhen they will be unable to shield either their faces or their backs fromthe Fire; when they will not be helped!
- It will overtake them suddenly,dumbfounding them. They shall be unable to ward it off, and they shall notbe respited.
- Before you, other Messengers were mocked, but the mockerswere encompassed by the very thing they mocked.
- Say: 'Who will guardyou, by night and by day from the Merciful?' But no, they turn away fromtheir Lord's remembrance.
- Or have they gods to defend them, other thanUs? Indeed, they are unable to help themselves, neither shall they beguarded in safety from Us.
- We gave days of enjoyment to them and theirfathers until their life became long. Are they unable to see how We cometo their land and reduce its borders. Or, is it they who are the victors?
- Say: 'I warn you only by the Revelation.' But the deaf hear nothingwhen they are warned.
- But if just a breath of your Lord's punishmentwere to touch them, they would say: 'Woe for us, we were harmdoers!'
- Onthe Day of Resurrection We shall set up just scales, so that no soul shallin the least be wronged, even though it be the weight of a grain ofmustard seed We will bring it - We Suffice as reckoners.
- We gave Mosesand Aaron the Criterion, and gave them a light and a Remembrance for thecautious:
- those who fear Allah in the Unseen, tremble because of theHour.
- This is a blessed Remembrance which We have sent down. Do youdisbelieve it?
- Before this We gave Abraham his virtue, for We knew him.
- He said to his father and to his nation: 'What, are these the statuesto which you cling?'
- They replied: 'We found our fathers worshippingthem.'
- He said: 'Truly, you and your fathers are in clear error.'
- They said: 'Is it the truth you have brought us, or are you one of thosethat play?'
- 'No,' he answered, 'your Lord is the Lord of the heavensand the earth, the Originator of them, and I am among those bearingwitness to it.
- By Allah, I will certainly outwit your idols as soon asyou have turned your backs and gone.'
- He broke them all into pieces,except their great one so that they might return to it.
- 'Who has donethis to our gods?' they exclaimed. 'He must surely be a harmdoer.'
- 'Wehave heard a young man called Abraham mention them' they replied.
- Theysaid: 'Then bring him here so that the people may see, so that they maybear witness.'
- 'Abraham,' they said, 'was it you who did this to ourgods?'
- 'No,' he replied. 'It was their great one amongst them that didit. Ask them, if they are able to speak.'
- So they returned one toanother saying, 'Surely, it is you who are the harmdoers!'
- But thenthey reversed their minds: 'You know they do not speak.'
- He said:'Would you then worship that, instead of Allah, which can neither help norharm you?
- Shame on you and on that you worship other than Allah! Haveyou no understanding?'
- They said: 'Burn him and help your gods, if youare going to do anything!'
- 'O Fire,' We said, 'be coolness and safetyfor Abraham.'
- They sought to outwit him, but We made them the worst oflosers.
- We saved him and Lot, and brought them to the land which We hadblessed for all the worlds.
- We gave him, in excess, Isaac, and Jacob(for a grandson); and We made each righteous
- and appointed them leadersto guide by Our Command and We revealed to them to do good deeds, and toestablish the prayer, and the giving of charity, and they were for Usworshipers.
- To Lot, We gave judgment and knowledge and saved him fromthe village that had been committing corrupt deeds; for they were an evilnation and were debauched.
- We admitted him to Our Mercy, he was amongthe righteous.
- And (remember) Noah, when he supplicated to Us, Weanswered him, and We saved him and his nation from great distress,
- andhelped him against the nation who had belied Our signs. They were an evilnation; We drowned them all.
- And David and Solomon - they passedjudgment upon the tilled land on which the peoples sheep had strayed. Webore witness to their judgment, and
- We made Solomon to understand it,and to both We gave judgment and knowledge. And with David We subjectedthe mountains and birds to exalt (Allah). All this We have done.
- Wetaught him the craft of making garments that fortify you against your ownviolence. Are you thankful?
- To Solomon the raging wind ran at hiscommand to the land which We had blessed. We have knowledge of all things.
- And some of the satans dived for him and others did work as well. Wewere watching over them.
- And Job - when he called to his Lord:'Affliction has befallen me, and You are the Most Merciful of themerciful.'
- We answered him and removed his affliction, and We gave hispeople, and those like them that were with them, mercy from Us, as areminder to those who worship.
- And Ishmael, Idris, and Thul-Kifl (theson of Job) each were patient.
- We admitted them to Our Mercy, for theywere of the righteous.
- And Thul-Nun (Prophet Jonah), he went away inanger thinking We had no power over him. But in the darkness he cried:'There is no god except You. Exaltations to You! I was among theharmdoers.'
- We heard his prayer and saved him from grief. As such Weshall save the believers.
- And Zachariah when he called to his Lordsaying: 'Lord, do not let me remain by myself; You are the Best ofinheritors.'
- So We answered him, and gave him John, curing his wife (ofsterility). They raced with each other in good works and called on Us outof yearning and awe, and they were humble to Us.
- And she (Mary) whoguarded her virginity. We breathed into her of Our spirit (Gabriel), andmade her and her son a sign for the worlds.
- Indeed, this nation ofyours is one nation, and I am Your Lord, therefore worship Me.
- But they(the Christians and Jews) split their affair between them - all shallreturn to Us.
- The endeavors of he who believes and does good worksshall not go unthanked. We write it down for him.
- (It is ordained that)no village We have destroyed shall return
- till Gog and Magog are letloose and slide down out of every slope;
- when the true promise drawsnear; the eyes of the unbelievers will stare (and they will say): 'Alasfor us! Of this we have been heedless. We have been harmdoers.'
- You andall those who you were worshipping, other than Allah, shall be the fuel ofGehenna; there you shall all go down to it.
- If those had been gods,they would never have gone down to it, but in it they shall live for ever.
- There is groaning for them therein, and they do not hear.
- Butthose whom We have surpassed with the finest (rank) from Us shall be farremoved from it,
- neither shall they hear any of its whisper, but shalllive for ever in that their souls desired.
- The greatest terror shallnot grieve them, and the angels will receive them: 'This is the Day youhave been promised.'
- On that Day, We shall roll up the heaven like awritten scroll is rolled. As We originated the first creation, so will Webring it back again. This is a binding promise on Us which We shallassuredly fulfill.
- We have written in the Psalms, after theRemembrance: 'The righteous among My worshipers shall inherit the earth.'
- Surely, in this is a proclamation to a worshiping nation.
- We havenot sent you (Prophet Muhammad) except as a mercy to all the worlds.
- Say: 'It is revealed to me that your God is One God, do you thensurrender?'
- If they turn back, say: 'I have warned you all alike,though I cannot tell whether what you are promised is imminent or distant.
- He knows your spoken words and what you hide.
- And I do not know ifthis is a trial for you and an enjoyment for a time.'
- He said: 'MyLord, judge in truth. Our Lord is the Merciful whose help is ever to besought against what you describe.'
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran