English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 19. Mary - Maryam of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
19. Mary - Maryam
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- A mention of the Mercy of your Lord to hisworshiper Zachariah,
- when he called upon his Lord in secret,
- saying:'O my Lord, my bones are enfeebled, and my head glows silver with age.Yet, never Lord, have I been unblessed in prayer to You.
- Indeed, I fearmy kinsmen who will succeed me, for my wife is barren. Grant me a kinsman
- who will be my heir and an heir to the House of Jacob, and make him, myLord, satisfied.'
- 'O Zachariah, We give you good tidings of a son, andhe shall be called John (Yahya); a name We have never given before.'
- 'How shall I have a son, Lord,' he asked, 'when my wife is barren, and Iam advanced in years?'
- He replied: 'It shall be so; your Lord says: "Itis easy for Me, indeed, I created you before time when you were not athing."
- He (Zachariah) said: 'Lord, make for me a sign.' He replied:'Your sign is that you shall not speak to people for three nights - beingwithout fault.'
- Then he came out from the Sanctuary to his nation, andgestured to them to exalt (their Lord) at the dawn and at the evening.
- (We said): 'O John, hold fast to the Book', and We bestowed on himjudgment while yet a child
- and tenderness from Us and purity, and hewas cautious;
- honoring his parents, being neither arrogant norrebellious.
- Peace be upon him on the day he was born and the day hedies, and on him the day when he is raised up alive.
- And mention in theBook, Mary, how she withdrew from her people to an eastern place and shetook a veil apart from them;
- We sent to her Our Spirit (Gabriel) in theresemblance of a perfect human.
- (And when she saw him) she said: 'Itake refuge in the Merciful from you! If you are fearful.'
- 'I am theMessenger of your Lord,' he replied, 'and have come to give you a pureboy.'
- 'How shall I bear a son,' she answered, 'when I am not touched bya human and not unchaste?'
- "Even so" he replied, "as such your Lord hassaid: 'Easy it is for Me. And We shall make him a sign to mankind and amercy from Us. It is a matter decreed.'"
- Thereupon she carried him, andretired to a far- off place.
- And when the birth-pangs came upon her bythe trunk of a palm-tree, she said: 'Oh, would that I had died before thisand become a thing forgotten!'
- He called from below to her: 'Do notsorrow, look, your Lord has provided a rivulet below you,
- and shake thetrunk of this palm-tree it will drop fresh ripe dates upon you.
- Therefore eat and drink and rejoice with your eyes. If you meet any humansay to him: "I have vowed a fast to the Merciful and will not speak withanyone today."'
- She came to her nation, carrying him; and they said: 'OMary, you have committed a monstrous thing.
- O sister of Aaron, yourfather was never an evil man, nor was your mother unchaste.'
- So shepointed to him (Prophet Jesus). But they replied: 'How can we speak with ababy in the cradle?'
- He (the baby) said: 'I am the worshiper of Allah.Allah has given me the Book and made me a Prophet.
- He made me to beblessed wherever I am, and He has charged me with prayer and charity foras long as I shall live.
- (He has made me) kind to my mother; He has notmade me arrogant, unprosperous.
- Peace be upon me on the day I was born,and on the day I die; and on the day when I shall be raised up alive.'
- Such was (Prophet) Jesus, the son of Mary. A saying of truth, concerningwhat they doubt.
- It is not for Allah to take a son! Exaltations to Him!When He decrees a thing He only says: 'Be,' and it is.
- Indeed, Allah ismy Lord and your Lord therefore worship Him. That is the Straight Path.
- But the parties have fallen into variance among themselves, then woe tothose who disbelieve for the scene of a Dreadful Day.
- How well theywill hear and see on the Day when they come before Us! The evil-doers aretoday in clear error.
- Warn them of that Day of Anguish, when the matteris determined whilst heedlessly they disbelieve.
- For We shall inheritthe earth and all that are on it. To Us, they shall return.
- Mention inthe Book Abraham; He was truthful and a Prophet.
- He said to his father:'O father, why worship that which can neither see nor hear, nor helps youin anything?
- Father, knowledge has come to me which has not come you,therefore, follow me. I will guide you to a Level Path.
- Father, do notworship satan; for satan has rebelled against the Merciful.
- Father, Ifear that the punishment of the Merciful will fall upon you and you willbecome a guide of satan.'
- But he replied: 'Do you shrink away from mygods, Abraham? Surely, if you do not cease I will stone you, so leave mefor awhile.'
- 'Peace be on you,' he (Abraham) said, 'I shall call uponmy Lord to forgive you, for to me He has been gracious.
- Now I will goaway from you and that you call upon, other than Allah. I will call on myLord. Perhaps I shall not be unblessed in calling my Lord.'
- So when heturned away from them and those they worshipped, other than Allah, We gavehim Isaac and Jacob. Each of them We made a Prophet,
- and We gave themof Our Mercy and We appointed to them a truthful, highly sincere tongue,
- Mention in the Book, Moses. He was devoted, a Messenger, and a Prophet.
- We called out to him from the right side of the mountain, and drew himnear in (Divine) conversation.
- From Our Mercy We gave him, his brotherAaron, a Prophet.
- And mention in the Book, Ishmael; he too was true tohis promise, a Messenger and a Prophet.
- And he ordered his people topray and to give charity and his Lord was pleased with him.
- And mentionin the Book, Idris; he too was of the truth and a Prophet,
- We raisedhim to a high place.
- These are whom Allah has blessed among theProphets from among the seed of Adam and of those whom We bore with Noah;the descendants of Abraham, of Israel, and of those whom We have guidedand chose. For when the verses of the Merciful were recited to them, theyfell down prostrate, weeping.
- But the generation that succeeded themwasted their prayers and followed their desires, so they shall encountererror
- except he who repents and believes and does good works; thoseshall be admitted to Paradise and shall not be wronged in any way.
- (They shall enter the) Gardens of Eden, which the Merciful has promisedHis worshipers in the Unseen. Indeed, His promise shall come.
- There,they shall hear no idle talk, but only peace. And there they shall begiven their provision at dawn and at the evening.
- That is the Paradisewhich We shall give the cautious worshipers to inherit.
- (Gabriel said:)'We do not descend except at the command of your Lord. To Him belongs allthat is before us and all that is behind us, and all that lies between.Your Lord does not forget.
- Lord of the heavens and the earth and allthat is between them, so worship Him, be patient in His worship. Do youknow any that can be named with His Name!'
- The human says: 'What, whenI am dead, shall I be raised to life?'
- Will the human not remember thatWe created him before when he was not a thing.
- By your Lord, We willgather them and the satans, and We shall parade them hobbling on theirknees in Gehenna:
- from every party We will pluck out whichever of themwas the most hardened in disdain of the Most Merciful.
- We alone knowwho deserves most to be burned therein.
- There is not one of you whoshall not go down to it: such is a thing decreed, determined by your Lord.
- Then, We will save those who were cautious of Us, but the harmdoersshall be left there hobbling on their knees.
- When Our clear verses arerecited to them the unbelievers say to the believers: 'Which of the twoparties has a better position or company?'
- How many generations have Wedestroyed before them, who were far greater in riches and more boastful!
- Say: 'Whosoever is in error, let the Most Merciful prolong his lifespan until they see that which they were threatened, be it a punishment,or the Hour. Then shall they know whose is the worst place and who isweaker in hosts.'
- Allah will increase those who were guided in guidanceand things that abide. Good deeds are better in reward with your Lord,and, better in return.
- Have you seen he who disbelieves Our verses andyet says: 'I shall surely be given wealth and children!'
- Has he gainedknowledge of the Unseen? Or taken a covenant with the Merciful?
- On thecontrary, We will write down what he says and prolong the length of hispunishment.
- We shall inherit that of which he speaks and he will comebefore Us alone.
- And they have taken gods, other than Allah, that theymight be a power from them.
- Indeed no! They will renounce their worshipand turn against them.
- Have you not seen how We send down to theunbelievers satans who prick them?
- Therefore, do not hasten (things)against them, for We count out to them a number,
- and on the Day when Wewill ceremonially gather the righteous to the Merciful,
- and drive theevildoers as herds, into Gehenna
- who have no power of intercession,except those who have taken a covenant with the Merciful.
- And they say:'The Merciful has taken a son.'
- Surely, you have brought a monstrousthing!
- Thereby the heavens are nearly torn and the earth split asunder,and mountains fall crashing down
- because they have ascribed a son tothe Merciful.
- It is not for the Merciful to take a son!
- There isnone in the heavens and earth except he comes to the Merciful as aworshiper.
- He has counted them and exactly numbered all;
- and eachone shall come to Him on the Day of Resurrection, alone.
- Those whobelieve and do righteous deeds, the Merciful will assign for them love.
- We have made it easy in your own tongue in order that you proclaim theglad tidings to the cautious and give warning to a stubborn nation.
- Howmany generations have We destroyed before them! Do you sense even one ofthem, or hear a whisper from them?
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran