English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 17. The Night Journey - Al-'Isra' of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
17. The Night Journey - Al-'Isra'
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- Exalted is He who carried His worshiper (Prophet Muhammad) to travelin the night from the Sacred Mosque to the Furthest Mosque which We haveblessed around it so that We might show him some of Our signs. He is theHearer, the Seer.
- We gave Moses the Book and made it a guide for theChildren of Israel. 'Take no guardian other than Me.
- (You are) thedescendants of those whom We carried (in the Ark) with Noah. He was atruly thankful worshiper.'
- And We decreed for the Children of Israel inthe Book: 'You shall corrupt the land twice, and you shall ascendexceedingly high.'
- And when the promise of the first came, We sentagainst you Our worshipers, those of great might, and they went throughthe habitations, and the promise was accomplished.
- Then, We gave theturn back to you to prevail over them, and We helped you with wealth andchildren, and made you the greater host.
- (We said): 'If you do good, itshall be for your own souls; but if you do evil it is likewise.' And whenthe second promise came (We sent them against you), to sadden your facesand to enter the Mosque as they entered it the first time, they utterlydestroyed whatever they came across.
- Perhaps Allah will have mercy onyou. But if you return, We will return. We have made Gehenna (Hell) aprison for the unbelievers.
- This Koran guides to the straightest way. Itgives glad tidings of a great wage to the believers who do good deeds,
- and for those who do not believe in the Everlasting Life We have preparedfor them a painful punishment.
- Yet the human prays for evil as he praysfor good - mankind is always hasty.
- We appointed the night and the dayas two signs. Then, We blotted out the sign of the night and made the signof the day to see, so that you seek the bounty of your Lord and that youknow the number of years and the reckoning. And We have clearlydistinguished everything.
- And to every human - We have fastened to himhis bird of deeds upon his neck; and on the Day of Resurrection We shallbring forth to him a book spread open wide.
- 'Read your book. Your selfsuffices you this Day as a reckoner against you.'
- Whosoever is guidedis only guided for his own self, and whosoever goes astray it is onlyagainst it. No soul shall bear another's burden. Nor do We punish until wehave sent a Messenger.
- When We desire to annihilate a village, Wecommand those who live in ease, but they commit evil therein, then theWord is realized against it and it is utterly annihilated.
- How manygenerations have We destroyed since Noah! Your Lord suffices as One who isAware of and sees the sins of His worshipers.
- For whosoever desiresthis fleeting life We hasten for him whatever We will and to whom We want.Then, We have prepared Gehenna for him where he will be roasted, condemnedand rejected.
- Whosoever, being a believer, desires the Everlasting Lifeand strives for it as he should - those their striving will be thanked.
- We help these and those, a gift from your Lord; and your Lord's gift isnot restricted.
- See how We have preferred some above others. Yet theEverlasting Life is greater in rank and greater in preferment.
- Do notset up with Allah another god, or you will sit condemned and forsaken.
- Your Lord has ordered you to worship none except Him, and to be good toyour parents. If either or both of them attain old age with you, do notsay: "Fie on you", nor rebuke them, but speak to them with words ofrespect.
- And lower to them the wing of humbleness out of mercy and say:'My Lord, be merciful to them, as they raised me since I was little.'
- Your Lord knows very well what is in your hearts. If you are good, He isforgiving to those who are penitent.
- Give to the near of kin, the needyand the destitute traveler their rights and do not squander,
- for thewasteful are the brothers of satan; and satan is ungrateful to his Lord.
- But if you turn away from them to seek the Mercy of your Lord, hopingto attain it, then speak to them with gentle words.
- And do not keepyour hand chained to your neck (when spending), nor open it completely, sothat you will sit blamed and destitute.
- Your Lord gives to whom He willHis provisions both abundantly and sparingly. He is aware and sees Hisworshipers.
- Do not kill your children because you fear poverty. We willprovide for you and them. Killing them is a great sin.
- Do not draw nearto fornication, for it is an indecency, and its way is evil.
- Do notkill the soul whom Allah has forbidden except by right. If he is slainunjustly, We have given his heir authority. But let him not exceed thelimit in slaying, for he will be helped.
- Do not draw near the wealth ofthe orphan except in the best manner, until he reaches maturity. And keepyour promise. Surely, the promise will be questioned.
- Give full measurewhen you measure, and weigh with even scales. That is better, and fairerin the end.
- Do not follow what you do not know. The hearing, sight andheart - about all these you shall be questioned.
- Do not walk proudly inthe earth. Indeed, you will never tear open the earth, nor attain theheight of mountains.
- The wickedness of all this is hateful with yourLord.
- That is of the wisdom your Lord has revealed to you. Do not setup with Allah another god, or you will be cast into Gehenna, condemned andrejected.
- What! Has your Lord favored you with sons and taken toHimself females from among the angels? Indeed, you utter a monstrousthing!
- In this Koran We have clarified so that they may remember; butit has only increased their aversion.
- Say: 'If there had been othergods with Him, as they say, they would surely have sought a way to theLord of the Throne.'
- Exaltations be to Him! High indeed be He exaltedabove what they say!
- The seven heavens, the earth, and whosoever inthem, exalt Him. There is nothing that does not exalt with His praise, butyou do not understand their exaltation. Surely, He is Clement, Forgiving.
- When you recite the Koran, We place between you and those who do notbelieve in the Everlasting Life an obstructing barrier.
- We lay veilsupon their hearts and heaviness in their ears, lest they understand it.When you (Prophet Muhammad) mention your Lord alone in the Koran, theyturn their backs in aversion.
- When they listen to you, We know verywell how they listen. When they conspire, when the evildoers declare: 'Youare only following a man who is bewitched!'
- See what they compared youto. They have surely gone astray and cannot find a Path.
- 'What!' theysay. 'When we are (turned to) bones and broken bits, shall we be raisedagain in a new creation?'
- Say: 'Let you be stones or iron,
- or anyother creation yet more monstrous in your minds.' They will ask: 'Who willrestore us?' Say: 'He who originated you at first.' They will shake theirheads and ask: 'When will this be?' Say: 'Maybe it is near,
- on thatDay, He will summon you, and you shall answer Him with praise and youshall think you have stayed but for a little.'
- Tell My worshipers, thatthey should say words that are the finest, satan would arouse discordamong them; he is the clear enemy of mankind.
- Your Lord knows you verywell. He will have mercy on you if He will, or punish you if He will. Wehave not sent you to be their guardian.
- Your Lord knows very well allwho are in the heavens and the earth. We have preferred some Prophetsabove others, and to David We gave the Psalms.
- Say: 'Call to those whomyou assert, other than Him. They have neither the power to remove youraffliction nor to transfer it.'
- Those, they call upon are themselvesseeking a means to come to their Lord, competing with each other to benearer; they hope for His Mercy and fear His punishment. Indeed, thepunishment of your Lord is the subject of caution.
- There is no villageexcept that it shall be destroyed or that We will punish it with a sternpunishment before the Day of Resurrection. That is inscribed in the Book.
- Nothing prevented Us from sending the signs but that the ancientsbelied them. To Thamood, We brought the she-camel as a visible (sign), yetthey wronged her. We do not send signs except to frighten.
- When We saidto you: 'Indeed, your Lord encompasses all people.' We did not make thevision which We showed to you, and the tree cursed in the Koran except tobe a trial for people, and We frighten them, but it only increases them ingreat insolence.
- When We said to the angels: 'Prostrate yourselvesbefore Adam,' they all prostrated themselves, except iblis (father of thejinn), who said: 'Shall I prostrate to him whom You have created fromclay?
- What do You think?' he said: 'This whom You have honored aboveme, if You defer me until the Day of Resurrection, I will root out all buta few of his seed (by misleading them).'
- 'Begone!' said He. 'Indeed,Gehenna is your recompense, and the reward of those who follow you, anample recompense.
- Rouse with your voice whoever you are able from amongthem. Rally against them your cavalry and those on foot. Share theirwealth and children with them, and promise them.' But satan promises themnothing except delusion.
- 'Over My worshipers you shall have noauthority.' Your Lord is their Sufficing Guardian.
- It is your Lord whodrives your ships at sea so that you may seek His bounty. He is indeed theMost Merciful towards you.
- When misfortune befalls you at sea, allexcept He of those to whom you supplicate forsake you; yet when Hedelivers you safely to the land, you turn away. The human is unthankful.
- Do you feel secure that He will not cause the shore to swallow you, orlet loose a squall of pebbles upon you? Then you shall find no guardianfor yourself.
- Or, do you feel secure that He will not send you backinto it a second time, and send against you a violent tempest and drownyou because of disbelief? Then you shall find no prosecutor (to help) youagainst Us.
- We have honored the children of Adam and carried them onboth land and sea. We have provided them with good things and greatlypreferred them above much of Our creation.
- On the Day when We call allthe people with their record, whosoever is given his book in his righthand shall read their book, and they shall not be wronged by as much as asingle date-fiber.
- But he who is blind in this life, shall be blind inthe Everlasting Life and will be further astray from the Path.
- Indeed,they were near to seducing you from that We revealed to you, so that youmight forge against Us another, and then they would surely have taken youas a friend;
- and if We had not fortified you, you would have been veryslightly inclining towards them;
- then We would have let you taste thedouble of life and death; and you would have found none to help youagainst Us.
- They very nearly provoked you to drive you out of the land,but they would have only lingered for a little while after you.
- Suchwas Our way with those whom We sent before you. You shall find no changein Our way.
- Establish the prayer at the decline of the sun till thedarkening of the night and the Koran recital at dawn. Surely, the Koranrecital at dawn is witnessed.
- As for the night there is a voluntarydeed for you to keep vigil in part it. Perhaps your Lord will raise you toa praiseworthy station.
- Say: 'Lord, grant me an entrance of sincerityand an exit of sincerity, and give me from Yours a victorious power.'
- Say: 'Truth has come and falsehood has vanished. Indeed, falsehood willcertainly vanish.'
- We sent down of the Koran that which is a healingand a mercy to believers, but to the harmdoers it does not increase them,except in loss.
- Yet when We bestow favors upon mankind he turns hisback and withdraws to one side. But when evil befalls him, he despairs.
- Say: 'Each human works in his own manner. But your Lord knows very wellwho is best guided on the way.'
- They question you about the spirit.Say: 'The spirit is from the command of my Lord. Except for a littleknowledge you have been given nothing.'
- If We pleased We could takeaway that which We have revealed to you then you should find none to guardyou against Us,
- except for Mercy from your Lord; for His favor to youis great indeed.
- Say: 'If mankind and jinn combined together to producethe like of this Koran, they would never be able to produce one like it,not even if they were to help one another.'
- Indeed, We have set forthfor mankind in this Koran every kind of parable, yet most people refuseall except disbelief.
- They say: 'We will not believe in you until youmake a spring gush from the earth for us,
- or, until you own a garden ofpalms and vines and cause rivers to gush forth with abundant water inthem;
- or, until you cause the sky to fall upon us in pieces, as youhave claimed, or, as a surety bring Allah with the angels in front;
- or,until you possess an ornate house of gold, or ascend into the heavens; andwe will not believe in your ascension until you have brought down for us abook which we can read.' Say: 'Exaltations to my Lord! Am I anythingexcept a human Messenger?'
- Nothing prevented people from believing whenguidance came to them but (the excuse): 'Has Allah sent a human as aMessenger?'
- Say: 'Had there been angels walking at peace in the earth,We would have sent down an angel from heaven to them as a Messenger.'
- Say: 'Allah is sufficient as a witness between me and you. He knows andobserves His worshipers.'
- Those whom Allah guides are rightly guided;but for those whom He leads astray you shall find no guardian, other thanHim. On the Day of Resurrection We shall gather all of them upon theirfaces, blind, dumb, deaf. Gehenna shall be their refuge, whenever itdwindles, We will increase the Blaze for them.
- That will be theirrecompense because they disbelieved Our verses and said: 'When we areturned to bones and broken bits, shall we really be raised up once more asa new creation?'
- Have they not seen that Allah, who has created theheavens and the earth, has power to create their like? There is no doubtthat He has appointed for them a term, yet the unbelievers refuse all butdisbelief.
- Say: 'If you possessed the treasuries of my Lord's Mercy,you would hold them back for fear of spending - and mankind is evergrudging!
- To Moses We gave nine clear signs. Ask the Children ofIsrael about how he came to them. When Pharaoh said to him: 'Moses, Ithink you are bewitched.'
- 'You know,' he replied, 'that none exceptthe Lord of the heavens and the earth has sent down these as clear proofs.Pharaoh, I believe you are destroyed.'
- Pharaoh sought to provoke themso that they would leave the land, but We drowned him, together with allwho were with him.
- And thereafter We said to the Children of Israel:'Dwell in the land. When the promise of the Everlasting Life comes Weshall bring you all together.'
- We have sent it down with the truth,and with the truth it has come down. We have not sent you except a bearerof glad tidings and a warner,
- and We have divided the Koran for you torecite at intervals to mankind and We have sent it down successively.
- Say: 'Believe in it, or do not believe. When it is recited to those towhom knowledge was given before they fall prostrate upon their faces
- and say, "Exaltations be to our Lord! The promise of our Lord is done."'
- They fall down upon their chin, weeping and it increases them inhumility.
- Say: 'Call upon Allah, or call upon the Merciful; whichever(Name) you call upon, to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.' Prayneither loudly nor to quietly, rather, seek a middle course between them.
- Say: 'Praise be to Allah who has not taken a son; who has no associatein the Kingdom; nor out of humility any guardian.' And exalt Himrepeatedly with exaltations.
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran