English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com
English translation of holy Quran - surah 10. The Prophet Jonah - Yunus of 114
This version of holy Quran has English translation in plain text format by Allah.com. The translation is in single color and each verse on its own paragraph is followed by verse number in brackets.
10. The Prophet Jonah - Yunus
In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful, the Most Beneficent
- AlifLaamRa. Those are the verses of the Wise Book.
- Is it a wonderto the people that We revealed to a man from among themselves: 'Warnmankind, and bear the glad tidings to those who believe that they standfirm with their Lord?' (Yet) the unbelievers say: 'This is a clearsorcerer.'
- Indeed, your Lord is Allah, who, in six days created theheavens and the earth and then willed to the Throne, directing affairs.There is no intercessor except by His permission. Such is Allah your Lord,therefore worship Him. Will you not remember?
- To Him all of you willreturn together. This is, in truth, the promise of Allah. He originatescreation, then He revives it so that He may recompense those who believeand do righteous deeds. As for the unbelievers, theirs is a drink ofboiling water and a painful punishment for their disbelief.
- It was Hethat made the sun a brightness and the moon a light, and determined it inphases so that you might know the number of years and the reckoning. Allahdid not create them except in truth, and distinguishes the verses to anation who know.
- In the alternation of the night and day, and in allthat Allah has created in the heavens and the earth, surely there aresigns for people who are cautious.
- Those who do not expect to meet Us,and are well-pleased with this life and are satisfied with it, and thosewho are inattentive to Our signs,
- for them, their refuge is the Fire forwhat they have been earning.
- Indeed, those who believe and do righteousworks, their Lord will guide them for their belief, beneath them riverswill flow in gardens of bliss.
- (In it) their supplication will be:'Exaltations to You, Allah!' And their greeting will be: 'Peace!' Theywill end their supplication with 'Praise be to Allah, Lord of the all theWorlds!'
- If Allah should hasten evil to people as they would hastengood, their term would already have been decided. But We leave those whodo not expect to meet Us to wander blindly in their insolence.
- Whenaffliction befalls a man, he supplicates to Us (lying) on his side,sitting or standing. But as soon as We relieve him from his affliction, hecontinues (in the same way), as though he never supplicated to Us whenharm touched him. So it is, that which the sinners were doing seem fairlydecorated to them.
- We destroyed generations before you when they didevil. (When) their Messengers came to them with clear verses they wouldnot believe; so We recompense the sinning nation.
- After them We madeyou their successors in the earth, so that We might see how you would do.
- When Our verses, clear verses, are recited to them, those who do notreckon to meet Us say: 'Bring a Koran other than this, or make changes init.' Say: 'It is not for me to change it by myself. I follow nothing,except what is sent down to me. Indeed, if I should rebel against my LordI fear the punishment of a Great Day.'
- Say (Prophet Muhammad): 'HadAllah willed, I would not have recited it to you, nor would He have madeit known to you. I lived among you all my life before it (was sent down).Will you not understand?
- Who does greater evil than he who forges a lieabout Allah or belies His verses? Indeed, the evildoers do not prosper.
- They worship, other than Allah, that which can neither harm nor benefitthem, and say: 'These are our intercessors with Allah.' Say: 'Will youtell Allah of something He does not know about either in the heavens orearth? Exaltations to Him! Exalted be He above what they associate!'
- (Before) mankind were but one nation, then they differed with one another.But for a Word that preceded from your Lord, it (the matters) over whichthey differed had already been decided.
- They say: 'Why has no sign beensent down to him from his Lord.' Say: 'The Unseen belongs to Allah alone.Wait if you will - I am one of those who wait.'
- When We let peopletaste (Our) mercy after they had been afflicted by hardship, they deviseagainst Our verses. Say: 'Allah is more swift in devising.' Indeed, OurMessengers (the angels) are writing down whatever you devise.
- It is Hewho conveys you by land and sea. When you are on board the ship and theships run with them upon a fair breeze they are joyful. (But when) astrong wind and waves come upon them from every side, and they think theyare encompassed, they supplicate to Allah, making their religion Hissincerely, (saying): 'If You save us from this, we will indeed be amongthe thankful.'
- But when He has saved them, see how they becomewrongfully insolent in the land. People, your insolence is only againstyourselves; the enjoyment of this present life, then to Us you shallreturn and We shall tell you what you did.
- This present life is likethe water We send down from the sky. The plants of the earth mix with itand from it mankind and cattle eat; then when the earth has become lushand adorned, its inhabitants think they have power over it, Our commandcomes upon it by night or day, and We cause it to be stubble, just asthough it had not flourished the day before. In this way We distinguishOur verses for those who reflect.
- Allah invites you to the House ofPeace. He guides whom He will to a Straight Path
- for those who do goodis a fine reward and a surplus. Neither dust nor shame shall cover theirfaces. Those are the companions of Paradise in it they shall live forever.
- As for those who have earned evil deeds, evil shall berecompensed with its like. Abasement will cover them, they shall have noneto defend them from Allah - as though their faces were covered with partsof the blackness of night. Those, they are the companions of the Fire, init they shall live for ever.
- And on the Day when We assemble them alltogether, We shall say to those who associated (other gods with Allah):'Go to your place, you and your associates!' Then, We will separate them,and their associates will say (to them): 'It was not us that youworshipped.'
- Allah is a Sufficient witness between us and you, surely,we were heedless of your worship.
- There, each soul shall prove its pastdeeds. They shall be restored to Allah, their Guardian, the True, and thatwhich they forged will escape from them.
- Say: 'Who provides for youfrom heaven and earth, or who owns the hearing and the sight? Who bringsforth the living from the dead, and the dead from the living?' Who directsthe affair? Surely, they will say: 'Allah.' Then say: 'Then, will you notbe fearful?'
- Such is Allah, your Lord, the True. What, is there aftertruth, anything except error. Then how are you turned around (fromfaith)?'
- So the Word of your Lord is realized against the evildoersthat they do not believe.
- Say: 'Is there any (among) your associateswho originates creation, then cause it to be revived yet again?' Say:'Allah, He originates creation, then revives it yet again. How is it thatyou are so perverted?'
- Say: 'Do any of your partners guide you to thetruth?' Say: 'Allah, He guides to the truth. Who then is worthier to befollowed He who guides to the truth or he who cannot guide unless he(himself) is guided? What is the matter with you, how then can you judge?'
- Most of them follow nothing except conjecture. But conjecture does nothelp against the truth. Allah knows the things they do.
- This Korancould not have been forged by other than Allah. It confirms what wasbefore it; a distinguishing Book, in which there is no doubt, from theLord of all the worlds.
- Do they say: 'He has forged it'. Say: 'Composeone chapter like it, and call upon whom you will, other than Allah (tohelp you), if what you say is true!'
- They have belied that which theydid not understand of its knowledge, nor has its interpretation reachedthem. Those who were before also belied. But see how was the end of theharmdoers.
- Some believe in it, while others do not believe it. YourLord knows well the corrupters.
- If they belie you, say: 'I have mywork, you have your work. You are quit of what I do, and I am quit of whatyou do.'
- Some of them listen to you. But can you make the deaf hearyou, even though they cannot understand?
- Some of them look to you. Butcan you guide the blind, even though they do not see?
- Indeed, Allahdoes not wrong mankind a thing, but they wrong themselves.
- The Day whenHe will gather them, (it will be) as though they had lingered but an hourof the Day and they will recognize one another. Lost are those who beliedthe meeting with their Lord and were not guided.
- Whether We let you seesome of that with which We promised them, or We call you to Us, to Us theyshall return. Allah is witness of the things they do.
- Every nation hasits Messenger. Then, when their Messenger comes the matter is justlydecided between them; they are not wronged.
- They ask: 'If what you sayis true, when will this promise come?'
- Say: 'I have no power to benefitor harm myself except as Allah wills. To every nation is a fixed term andwhen their term comes they cannot delay it for an hour, nor can they bringit forward.
- Say: 'Have you considered? Should His punishment come uponyou by night or by day, what (part) of it would the sinners try tohasten?'
- And when it overtakes you, is it then that you will believe init, now, when you already try to hasten it!
- Then it shall be said tothe evildoers: 'Taste the punishment of eternity! Shall you be recompensedexcept according to what you earned?'
- They ask you to tell them if itis true. Say: 'Yes, by my Lord! It is true, and you cannot frustrate it!'
- If each soul that has done evil had all that is in the earth, it wouldoffer it for its ransom. And secretly they will feel regret when they seethe punishment, and the matter is justly decided between them, and theyare not wronged.
- Indeed, to Allah belongs everything in the heavens andthe earth. Indeed, the promise of Allah is true though most of them do nothave knowledge.
- It is He who gives life and causes death, and to Himyou shall be returned.
- People, an admonition has now come to you fromyour Lord, and a healing for what is in the chests, a guide and a mercy tobelievers.
- Say: 'In the Bounty of Allah and His Mercy let them rejoice,it (the Koran) is better than that which they hoard.'
- Say: 'Have youconsidered the provision that Allah has sent down for you, and some youhave made unlawful and some lawful?' Say: 'Has Allah given you Hispermission, or do you forge (falsehood) against Allah?'
- What will thosewho forged falsehood about Allah think on the Day of Resurrection? Allahis Bountiful to mankind; yet most of them do not give thanks.
- You arenot engaged in any matter, neither do you recite any portion of the Koran,nor do you do any work, except that We are witnesses over you when youpress upon it? Not even as much as the weight of an ant in earth or heavenescapes your Lord, nor is there anything smaller or greater, but it is(recorded) in a Clear Book.
- Indeed, there shall be neither fear norsorrow upon the guided by Allah.
- Those who believe and are cautious
- there is for them glad tidings in this present life and in the EverlastingLife. The Word of Allah is unchanging, that is the mighty triumph.
- Donot let their speech grieve you. All might belongs to Allah. He is theHearing, the Knowing.
- Attention: Indeed to Allah belongs everyone thatis in the heavens and in the earth. Those who call upon associates, otherthan Allah, follow nothing but assumptions, (they are) only lying.
- Heit is who has made the night for your rest and the day to see. Surely, inthis there are signs for people who listen.
- They say: 'Allah has takena son.' Exaltations be to Him (Allah)! Rich is He. To Him belongs all thatis in the heavens and the earth - you have no authority for this! What, doyou say of Allah what you do not know?
- Say: 'Those who forge falsehoodsagainst Allah shall not prosper.'
- (They take their) enjoyment in thisworld, but to Us they shall return, then, We shall let them taste theterrible punishment because they were unbelievers.'
- And recite to themthe story of Noah. He said to his nation: 'O my nation, if my standinghere, reminding you of the verses of Allah grieves you, and in Allah Ihave put my trust; decide upon your affair with your associates, then donot let your affair worry you. Come to a decision about me, and give me norespite.
- Then, if you turn your backs, I have not asked of you a wage.My wage falls only on Allah. I am commanded to be from those who surrender(Muslims).'
- But they belied him. Therefore We saved him and those whowere with him in the Ark, and We made them caliphs, and We drowned thosewho belied Our verses. See what was the end of those who were warned!
- After him We sent Messengers to their nation. They brought them clearsigns, but they were not of those to believe because they had belied itpreviously. So We seal the hearts of the evildoers.
- Then, after them Wesent Moses and Aaron with Our signs to Pharaoh and his Council. But theywere arrogant, for they were a sinful nation.
- When the truth came tothem from Us they said: 'This is indeed clear magic.'
- Moses said: 'Isthis what you say of the truth when it has come to you? Is this sorcery?Sorcerers do not prosper!'
- They said: 'Have you come to turn us awayfrom that which we found our fathers practicing (in order that) thedomination of the land might belong to you two? We do not believe you!'
- (Then) Pharaoh said: 'Bring every skilled sorcerer.'
- When the sorcererscame, Moses said to them: 'Cast down what you will cast.'
- And when theyhad cast, Moses said: 'What you have brought is sorcery. Surely, Allahwill render it as nothing. Allah does not put right the work of thecorrupt.'
- Allah verifies the truth by His Words, even though thesinners hate it.
- So none believed Moses except a few of his nationbecause they feared that Pharaoh and their Council would persecute them.Pharaoh was mighty in the land, and one of the evildoers.
- Moses said:'O my nation, if you believe in Allah, put your trust in Him, if you havesurrendered (Muslims).'
- They said: 'We have put our trust in Allah. OurLord, do not let us be a temptation to the harm-doing nation.
- Save us,through Your Mercy, from the unbelieving nation.'
- We revealed to Mosesand his brother: 'Take certain houses for your people in Egypt. Make yourhouses a direction (for pray); establish the prayer; and give glad tidingsto the believers.'
- 'Our Lord,' supplicated Moses. 'You have givenPharaoh and his Council adornments and possessions in this life. Our Lord,let them go astray from Your Path. Our Lord, destroy their possessions andharden their hearts so that they shall not believe until they see thepainful punishment.
- He (Allah) said: 'Your supplication is answered; sogo straight and do not follow the way of those who do not know.'
- Webrought the Children of Israel through the sea, and Pharaoh and hislegions pursued them arrogantly and frantically. But as he was drowning hecried out: '(Now) I believe that there is no god except He in whom theChildren of Israel believe. I am of those that surrender (Muslims).'
- (Allah said): 'Now (you believe)! But before this you rebelled and were ofthe corrupt.
- We shall deliver you (Ramsis II) with your body this day,so that you may be a sign to those after you. Indeed many people pay noheed to Our signs!
- (Thereafter) We settled the Children of Israel in ablessed land and provided them with good things. They did not differ untilknowledge was given them. Indeed, your Lord will decide between them onthe Day of Resurrection.
- If you are in doubt of what We have sent downto you, ask those who recite the Book before you. The truth has come toyou from your Lord, therefore do not be of the doubters.
- Do not beamong those who belie the verses of Allah, for then you would be among thelosers.
- Those against whom the Word of your Lord will be realized willnot believe,
- even though every sign comes to them, until they see thepainful punishment.
- Why, was there never a village that believed andits belief benefited them? Except Jonah's nation, when they believed, Wespared them from a degrading punishment in this life and We gave themenjoyment for awhile.
- Had your Lord willed, whosoever is in the earth,all would have believed. Would you then constrain people until theybelieve?
- No soul can believe except by the permission of Allah. Uponthose who do not understand lays His punishment.
- Say: 'See what is inthe heavens and the earth!' But neither signs nor warnings help theunbelievers.
- Do they watch and wait for anything except for dayssimilar to those who passed away before them? Say: 'Wait; I shall be withyou among those who are waiting.'
- Then we shall save Our Messengersand the believers. It is Our obligated duty, We shall save those whobelieve.
- Say: 'O people! If you are in doubt concerning my religion, Iworship none of those you worship, other than Allah but I worship Allah,who will cause you to die, for I am commanded to be among the believers,
- and, set your face towards the religion, being of pure faith, and donot be among the idolaters.
- Do not pray to, other than Allah, toanything that can neither help nor harm you, for if you do, you willbecome a harmdoer.
- If Allah touches you an affliction none can removeit except He; and if He wills any good for you, none can repel His Bounty.He causes it to fall upon whosoever of His worshippers that He will. He isthe Forgiving, the Most Merciful.'
- Say: 'O people! The truth has cometo you from your Lord. Whosoever is guided is guided only for himself, andwhosoever goes astray, he is astray for himself. I am not a guardian overyou.'
- Follow what is revealed to you, and be patient till Allah shalljudge, and He is the Best of judges.
English translation of holy Quran by Allah.com - more information
Introduction: English translation in text format generously provided by Allah.com. For details about this translation please check the website Allah.com.
Other contributions: none
File format: plain text ( web pages )
Contents: total 114 surah in 114 pages
Full Quran: Full Quran on single webpage by Allah.com
Type: the translation is idiomatic and only has English text with no Arabic transcript. The text is in black color and an easy to read font which can also be stylized by using your browser stylesheet / accessibility settings
Direct links to surahs of holy Quran